Sunday, February 01, 2009

Design for Living

华丽上班族 之 《生活与生存》
Esplanade Theatre
Huayi Chinese Festival of Arts
31 January 2009, 2.30 pm

Awe.some. This completely changed my impression of modern Chinese theatre. There are only three truly emotional scenes in this 300-minute play. Everything else are plain statements; cold representations of truth. But that's what makes it incredibly deep and dark.

Synopsis from programme:
"Survival calls for intelligence while living requires wisdom." A female boss feels threatened by a rumour. To secure her position and power, she begins to play mind games with others in her office, stirring up a hornets’ nest. Who will be the ultimate winner in the ensuing struggle for love, wealth and power?

Okay freeze-frame and monologues are duh powah :D

(Geez I'm such a theatre freak. I should really document all the productions I watched and slap myself for spending thousands on tickets.)





<< Home