Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Simple Conclusion on Elitism

I think anything that could've been expressed about elitism has been said in the past few years. A brief, somewhat simplistic conclusion on my part:

1) Elitism is ignorance on both parties' parts (the ever-amusing "elites"/"non-elites" divide). Singapore has a skills-intensive economy, so academics matter to a great extent. But in real life, some skills can't be taught. For example, many people from elite schools have terrible common sense.

2) Let's just say that elitists are definitely not the true elites.

3) Elitism is a non-issue. To be pragmatic, it is a problem that can only be managed, not solved. So we should quit all that angst already.

---

(On a side note,)

Mark Twain said this about someone who cheated him in a business deal and had since died:

"But I bear him no malice. In fact, I'd send him a fan if I could."

Hahahaha what a mean guy.





<< Home